UltraBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
UltraBB Forums > WowBB > Software Assistance > trouble logging into a Wowbb supported forum

Moderated by: Jim
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
trouble logging into a Wowbb supported forum  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Jan 27th, 2013 06:26 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
MJR123

Name: 
Interests: 
Mana: 
User Gallery
Hello,
I have recently been having trouble with my account on a Wowbb supported forum.  When I attempt to log into my account on wifi I get to the main homepage but when I attempt to log in I see no threads and it says PMdisabled.  However when I log in on my 3G device I have no problem.
I asked the admin of the site and he said that I am not banned or anything like that, and I do not get any "website blocked" messages
Is there anything that be done to solve this problem?

Thank you for your time
M

PS
I can access my "edit profile" "edit preferences" "change avatar" "change PW" pages etc......but I do not get any threads and I have "PM Disabled" in the top right corner

Last edited on Sun Jan 27th, 2013 06:37 am by MJR123

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sun Jan 27th, 2013 11:59 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jim
Head Cheese

Name: Jim
Interests: Software
Mana: 
User Gallery
Hi, welcome to our support board.

It was a long standing practice for WowBB users to use the "Banned IP's" feature, as a matter of fact a lot of people still use it. On a cable or broadband service they use a "dynamic IP" system. You might have the same IP for over a year, then a storm comes, they have to restart some of their routers and shazam... you have a different IP.

Spammers rarely use their own IP, they use a different one every time they attempt a message. The board owners immediately block the IP, and eventually it ends up blocking real members.

So they have blocked some IP's, or an array of IP's, and now it matches the Wifi connection you are connecting to.

A 3 or 4G connection actually changes IP with every refresh or 2.

Go here on your wifi: http://ultrabb.net/ip.php and write down the address. Then log on to the forum in question with 3G and ask the admin to remove that particular IP from their list, you can copy this post or send them here first if you like.

Out of curiosity, go to that address using your 3G and refresh a few times, you will see how it is different almost every refresh!

The moral of the story is IP blocking on a permanent basis is ineffective and will block real people from your site eventually.

Posted: Mon Jan 28th, 2013 08:11 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
MJR123

Name: 
Interests: 
Mana: 
User Gallery
Thanks a huge bunch for the help, it seems that did the trick

Definitely appreciate the super quick and super helpful response

Current time is 02:08 pm  
UltraBB Forums > WowBB > Software Assistance > trouble logging into a Wowbb supported forum Top

Hosting

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2012 Data 1 Systems, INC.
Page processed in 0.1479 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 24 queries executed.