UltraBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Moderated by: martin_wynne Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Site slow  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Oct 18th, 2011 08:57 am
  PM Quote Reply
81st Post
martin_wynne
Licence Holder

Mana: 
User Gallery
Thanks all for trying it.

Today my cross-pond link has changed from Level3.com to Above.net, but the erratic results remain. Although not quite so bad -- 5 refreshes of my board came up in 2 seconds. Then the 6th refresh took 40 seconds.

Tracing shows frequent packet losses on the final hop from twtelecom.net to cera.net

Not sure what I can do about it. Just hope for best -- if it's an actual fault, it should get fixed sooner or later. Other UK users on the same networks are presumably seeing the same. Mag, I believe that includes you.

The strategy I've adopted is this -- if a page doesn't show within 5 seconds I click the Stop button in the browser. Count up to 5 and then click the original link again. This seems to do the trick every time. But I'm not too sure whether it is a sensible suggestion to pass on to my UK users. Anyone?

Martin.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Tue Oct 18th, 2011 09:20 am
  PM Quote Reply
82nd Post
sol

Mana: 
User Gallery
The entire page with the photos took about 8 seconds and that is OK for me.

Posted: Tue Oct 18th, 2011 09:44 am
  PM Quote Reply
83rd Post
wingnutter
Forever Learning

Mana: 
User Gallery
Jim wrote: How about you Steve, is yours doing OK since 1ish EST?
Yes mine is fine Jim, I seen the difference even from the slow connection at work.

Posted: Tue Oct 18th, 2011 09:45 am
  PM Quote Reply
84th Post
tanygaer
TOIDI

Mana: 
User Gallery
twtelecom.net is often a bottle neck for me also, not much we can do about it as it seems it is probably cera's preferred routing.

Posted: Tue Oct 18th, 2011 09:48 am
  PM Quote Reply
85th Post
wingnutter
Forever Learning

Mana: 
User Gallery
martin_wynne wrote: Now 4am in the UK so cross-pond traffic presumably light. But still the same erratic results.

Anyone care to try this page:

http://85a.co.uk/rmweb_index/index.html?9741_5837_php456069_1980s_and_90s_flashbacks_1992_days_out_in_liverpool.htm

3 seconds for the whole page including pictures Martin. That was at 1045hrs our time,and from the computer in work which always has a slow connection because all the businesses in the estate are using the same service to connect to the web.

Posted: Tue Oct 18th, 2011 10:04 am
  PM Quote Reply
86th Post
martin_wynne
Licence Holder

Mana: 
User Gallery
tanygaer wrote: twtelecom.net is often a bottle neck for me also, not much we can do about it as it seems it is probably cera's preferred routing.
Thanks David.

How does the system work that others manage to avoid it? For example Steve in Dublin isn't seeing any problems, nor Robert in Spain.

Is there any way to specify the route to be used? In the browser for example? I've tried flushing the Windows local DNS cache on the off chance it may make a difference. It didn't.

Martin.

Posted: Tue Oct 18th, 2011 10:13 am
  PM Quote Reply
87th Post
Jim
Head Cheese

Mana: 
User Gallery
tanygaer wrote: twtelecom.net is often a bottle neck for me also, not much we can do about it as it seems it is probably cera's preferred routing.
Cera really has little or no control over routing, their cisco equipment divides signals from several upstream providers including ATT, Time Warner, there were a couple more mentioned. These are all optical connections I believe. The "which signal" is determined by what is fastest, if one gets clogged then it brings it in from another.

This would be an interesting study, "who determines the route"? I have noticed slightly different trace routes when changing the "name server" values at my computer, there are a couple different ones I switch to from time to time when checking on DNS propagation time.

If I were to guess from what I have seen each individual router along the hops determined where the next hop is by its configuration.

Jim

Posted: Tue Oct 18th, 2011 10:18 am
  PM Quote Reply
88th Post
Jim
Head Cheese

Mana: 
User Gallery
martin_wynne wrote: tanygaer wrote: twtelecom.net is often a bottle neck for me also, not much we can do about it as it seems it is probably cera's preferred routing.
Thanks David.

How does the system work that others manage to avoid it? For example Steve in Dublin isn't seeing any problems, nor Robert in Spain.

Is there any way to specify the route to be used? In the browser for example? I've tried flushing the Windows local DNS cache on the off chance it may make a difference. It didn't.

Martin.

Definitely Martin, try changing the nameserver values at your computer or in your router if you use DHCP.

So far all providers I have experienced allowed me to use any nameservers I wanted but I don't know about across the pond.

My current set is:

Last edited on Tue Oct 18th, 2011 10:19 am by Jim

Posted: Tue Oct 18th, 2011 10:29 am
  PM Quote Reply
89th Post
martin_wynne
Licence Holder

Mana: 
User Gallery
Jim wrote:Definitely Martin, try changing the nameserver values at your computer or in your router if you use DHCP.

So far all providers I have experienced allowed me to use any nameservers I wanted but I don't know about across the pond.

My current set is:

Thanks Jim,

I currently have:

Name servers for 85a.co.uk:

ns1.d1shost2.com
  ns2.d1shost2.com

Is this what I should change?

How would this affect my access to other Data 1 sites?

I don't have a router. My broadband connection is via an ADSL modem card in my computer.

Martin.

Last edited on Tue Oct 18th, 2011 10:30 am by martin_wynne

Posted: Tue Oct 18th, 2011 10:38 am
  PM Quote Reply
90th Post
MR G
License Holder

Mana: 
User Gallery
Change it to these Martin i use these and im UK based they have always worked well for me

ns0.phase8.net
ns1.phase8.net

tertiary nameserver ns2.phase8.net

you can use any nameserver doesnt matter where it is

Brian MRG

Last edited on Tue Oct 18th, 2011 10:39 am by MR G

Posted: Tue Oct 18th, 2011 10:49 am
  PM Quote Reply
91st Post
tanygaer
TOIDI

Mana: 
User Gallery
I suspect that there is nothing we can do about it, I presume as we are both not in London that we are routed through Manchester to the outside world, or maybe Bristol in your instance, all dependent on who your ISP is.

The setting you have for 85a.co.uk are correct and should not be altered.

What Jim was referring to is your computer at home, to whom does it make its first inquiry for the translation of 85a.co.uk to an IP address, for instance I am served by BT I use dhcp so I suspect that my first port of call is always going to be BTCENTRAL.COM, however I could force my router to use a different set of servers to start the journey off.

Whilst you are using an ADSL card in your computer I suspect you could still configure certain items manually.

Posted: Tue Oct 18th, 2011 11:54 am
  PM Quote Reply
92nd Post
martin_wynne
Licence Holder

Mana: 
User Gallery
tanygaer wrote:The setting you have for 85a.co.uk are correct and should not be altered.
Hi David,

Thanks for that. I was fairly sure I had the wrong end of the stick there.

What Jim was referring to is your computer at home, to whom does it make its first inquiry for the translation of 85a.co.uk to an IP address, for instance I am served by BT I use dhcp so I suspect that my first port of call is always going to be BTCENTRAL.COM, however I could force my router to use a different set of servers to start the journey off.

Whilst you are using an ADSL card in your computer I suspect you could still configure certain items manually.

As far as I know the first look-up is in the Windows DNS Resolver Cache. I've just flushed the cache again and created a fresh record by visiting my site:

C:\>ipconfig /flushdns

Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

C:\>ipconfig /displaydns

Windows IP Configuration

85a.co.uk
         ----------------------------------------
         Record Name . . . . . : 85a.co.uk
         Record Type . . . . . : 1
         Time To Live  . . . . : 14015
         Data Length . . . . . : 4
         Section . . . . . . . : Answer
         A (Host) Record . . . : 174.46.70.50

I don't see anything there which would control the route taken. The next question is where does the cache get this information from? I'm going to do a bit of digging in ipconfig and see what I can find. I can't find anything on my account settings at my ISP.

Of course this won't solve anything for other users in the UK who are seeing the same problem. I'm more concerned with my members' access to my site than my own access.

regards,

Martin.

Posted: Tue Oct 18th, 2011 12:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
93rd Post
Marty
Helpy Helper

Mana: 
User Gallery
I use Google DNS Servers 8.8.8.8 :-) They work great :-)

Posted: Tue Oct 18th, 2011 12:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
94th Post
martin_wynne
Licence Holder

Mana: 
User Gallery
Marty wrote: I use Google DNS Servers 8.8.8.8 :-) They work great :-)
Hi Marty,

Where do you enter this information?

Martin.

Posted: Tue Oct 18th, 2011 12:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
95th Post
Marty
Helpy Helper

Mana: 
User Gallery
I am not sure what OS you are using, so here are some instructions from Google on all of them:

http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using.html

Posted: Tue Oct 18th, 2011 01:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
96th Post
martin_wynne
Licence Holder

Mana: 
User Gallery
Marty wrote: I am not sure what OS you are using, so here are some instructions from Google on all of them:

http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using.html

Hi Marty,

Many thanks for that.

I found the TCP/IP settings and changed the DNS numbers.

Using Jim's settings  -- "Firefox can't find the server".

Using the Google settings -- working fine.

I tried tracing and the route remains the same, but timings are a fraction faster. So far everything seems to be working ok. From testing I have done so far, the pages from all Data 1 sites are slightly slower: 2-3 seconds instead of 1-2 seconds. BUT they are consistent at that and I haven't seen any long waits.

I don't quite understand how the change I made affects the results I'm seeing, but if it remains like that I'm happy. :)

regards,

Martin.

Posted: Tue Oct 18th, 2011 02:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
97th Post
Jim
Head Cheese

Mana: 
User Gallery
martin_wynne wrote: Jim wrote:Definitely Martin, try changing the nameserver values at your computer or in your router if you use DHCP.

My current set is:

Thanks Jim,

I currently have:

Name servers for 85a.co.uk:

ns1.d1shost2.com
  ns2.d1shost2.com

Is this what I should change?

How would this affect my access to other Data 1 sites?

I don't have a router. My broadband connection is via an ADSL modem card in my computer.

Martin.
NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
I meant the DNS settings on your computer or router if you are DHCP. Properties of your network connection on your computer if you use static local IP's, DNS servers on your router if you use DHCP. Please please do not change the nameservers for your site.

I didn't think it was misleading, sorry if it was read wrong. It's that english to english translation thing, gets soaking wet crossing the pond.

Posted: Tue Oct 18th, 2011 02:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
98th Post
Jim
Head Cheese

Mana: 
User Gallery
OK I didn't read Davids post and got excited. Carry on..........

Posted: Tue Oct 18th, 2011 02:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
99th Post
martin_wynne
Licence Holder

Mana: 
User Gallery
Jim wrote: OK I didn't read Davids post and got excited. Carry on..........
Calm down Jim. :)

I was fairly sure you didn't mean "name server" but the only way to find out was to ask.

The Google DNS settings do seem to have made a difference, although I'm at a loss to understand how, if the traced route remains the same. I still don't know what DNS I was using previously -- it was simply set to "Automatic".

Some of this stuff is as clear as mud. :?

Thanks for your help.

Martin.

Posted: Tue Oct 18th, 2011 03:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
100th Post
tanygaer
TOIDI

Mana: 
User Gallery
Jim wrote:NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
I meant the DNS settings on your computer or router if you are DHCP. Properties of your network connection on your computer if you use static local IP's, DNS servers on your router if you use DHCP. Please please do not change the nameservers for your site.

Do you mean I should not change my name servers, Damm, wish you guys would make your minds up... :?

Current time is 01:44 pm Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Page Last Page    
UltraBB Forums > UltraBB > Troubleshooting > Site slow Top

Hosting

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2012 Data 1 Systems, INC.
Page processed in 0.5395 seconds (15% database + 85% PHP). 39 queries executed.