UltraBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
UltraBB Forums > General Area > Chit Chat > Tech Talk > Microscribe Utility Software

Moderated by: Marty Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Microscribe Utility Software  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Sep 2nd, 2010 03:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
m4designs

Mana: 
User Gallery
Checked the bios, changed the serial from auto to com1 but did not help. no modem installed at least in hardware manager. What are the data bits, parity, stop bits, flow control settings? Are FIFO Buffers used?

Rick

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Mon Feb 7th, 2011 04:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
Lia

Mana: 
User Gallery
Hi!
I saw on the forum that you have a more recent version of Immersion Microscribe Utility Software. I am in desperate need of a recent one, and you would have my eternal gratitude if you could send me what you have. Thanks! Lia

Posted: Mon Feb 7th, 2011 06:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
Jim
Head Cheese

Mana: 
User Gallery
That is the latest version, I know of no others. If you find others please alert me and if they are free of licensing from the company I will post them here.

Posted: Sat Jan 14th, 2012 11:45 am
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
dave

Mana: 
User Gallery
Hi Jim, I have recently purchased a second hand microscribe and the only software for it was the zip file you posted previously in this chat.

Could you tell me whether the software runs on a 64bit computer or does it need a 32 bit o/s?

Thanks for your help.

Posted: Sat Jan 14th, 2012 01:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
Jim
Head Cheese

Mana: 
User Gallery
Try it, most 64 bit OS's do a great job of running 32 bit apps. Just not 16 :)

Using a microscribe today:

Posted: Sat Jan 14th, 2012 02:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
26th Post
dave

Mana: 
User Gallery
Cool, I'm writing my PhD and comparing the microscribe 3dx to the FARO laser scanner, Scanning electron microscope, OLS4000 and a picoscanner.

I was just ordering my own P.C and wanted to make sure I could run it.

Thanks for the help! :)

Posted: Sat Jan 14th, 2012 02:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
27th Post
Jim
Head Cheese

Mana: 
User Gallery
The Microscribe will come nowhere close to the Faro gage or romer type arms, it simply wasn't meant for that. But then again that is comparing $3,000 to $50,000+

I can play with mine for an hour, tip length compensation and scaling, using my custom tip and only get around .006 error. That's less than half what is guaranteed, but still sloppy by precision standards.

And you are welcome :)

Posted: Wed Mar 21st, 2012 03:50 am
  PM Quote Reply
28th Post
Jim
Head Cheese

Mana: 
User Gallery
Just received a brand new microscribe MX with the latest MUS software. The new one is supposed to measure within .002" throughout its entire reach.

I'll post some shots when I get it up 100%. The MX with its new accuracy level commands almost $11,000 and I convinced them to buy it, now I have to make money for them with it.

Microscribe isn't owned by immersion any more, it was bought a few years back by Revware, a company that makes reverse engineering software.

Posted: Sat Jun 16th, 2012 05:20 am
  PM Quote Reply
29th Post
cboggs

Mana: 
User Gallery
Hi Rick,

I just got a microscribe 3dx but it only has serial cable,
and usb converters won't work.
you had one of these units, .. did you just have a serial
port or is there a trick to getting it to work on usb?

Thanks,

Curtis

Posted: Sat Jun 16th, 2012 01:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
30th Post
Jim
Head Cheese

Mana: 
User Gallery
The 3DX has both serial and USB ports. If you didn't get a cable with it it takes the exact same cable as most printers, the one with the "D" shape on the other end.

If your USB adapter didn't work, try one from Sabrent ( http://www.sabrent.com/category/cables/ )

I forget which one I have and have never actually talked to the microscribe with it, but it is the only adapter I have ever used that has successfully talked to every device I have plugged in to, both from Windows and Linux.

Posted: Sun Jan 20th, 2013 09:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
31st Post
Jimmyalenius

Mana: 
User Gallery
Hi Jim! I got and MicroScribe 3DX and wounder if you now if it's compatible with Autodesk Inventor and Windows7?
The last time I used it was on a Windows NT computer and with Ghost3D for 3dsMax. Do you know if there is other software that can be used with MicroScribe 3DX and newer versions of Windows?

Best Regards / Jimmy

Posted: Sun Jan 20th, 2013 09:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
32nd Post
Jim
Head Cheese

Mana: 
User Gallery
I have a later version of MUS running on win7 at work, we bought a brand new MX.

As for autodesk inventor, no idea but it does have more outputs than the old version. I'll check tomorrow morning.

Posted: Thu Feb 21st, 2013 10:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
33rd Post
Mclain

Mana: 
User Gallery
Can somebody help me out with an old Microscribe 3DX.
I bought one of ebay without the stylus on there. So i made my own. But as far as i can tell, its a bit short. When i try to measure, its way off. So i measured a bearing and compared it with the actual size. Calculated the offset of the tip, and put that in. I measured again, and this time it was bigger. So i made another adjustment, and made another measurement. It was more off then my offset adjustment. So i left the offset as it was, but changed it location, and measured again. the measurement was way different then when it was placed somewhere else.

So i'm kinda stuck. i think i need to enlarge the stylus i made so thats its more like the original size, as i am working with a smaller then original now, and i am not sure if is was designed for that.

Another question. With the G series, i need to home the device first. Is there a homing procedure for this as well?

hope somebody can help me out.

Oh yeah. I'm using autodesk inventor with Mus 6

Posted: Fri Feb 22nd, 2013 04:16 am
  PM Quote Reply
34th Post
Jim
Head Cheese

Mana: 
User Gallery
The 3DX had a little short stylus with a 60 degree tip. The key is to home it with the original stylus then put your custom tip in. A negative number should compensate for a longer tip and a positive for a shorter (think Z axis tool offset).

I don't know if it is going to work without homing first with the original tip. You basically put the tip in the little aluminum cradle behind the big knuckle, rotate it till it stops CCW and press the button on the back.

I'll see if I have a drawing of the original tip. If not I know the guys at B3D and can probably get you a print.

Just checked, it was exactly .500 from the back (not the threads but the mating surface) to the sharp point, and exactly 60 degrees included. This should give you a delta offset of exactly zero and you should be able to home your tool.

I made a really cool stylus out of an AGD indicator tip, it is the same thread. It was .ike .o6 dia. and about 1.5 long. Was able to calibrate it in within about .004 which is unheard of for that model.

Posted: Sat Feb 23rd, 2013 01:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
35th Post
Mclain

Mana: 
User Gallery
The problem is that i bought this microscribe without a stylus and stylus holder.

So we made a tip that can be screwed on the thread you can see there. So i have no original tip to home is with. And there where my problem is. Because of the offset tip, its angeled different when homing. This model has no homing button. So i think that it homes itself when you switch the on button. So i need to modify my tip that its the same as the original tip. Any info on that would be awesome. Else it will be a test and trial to figure it out.

I also have a G2LX here. Thats the 6DOF type. I think there is a cyllinder in the stylus holder, where you screw your tip in. Im missing that cyllinder. So i was wondering if you know a company that can supply me that part.

Posted: Sat Feb 23rd, 2013 02:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
36th Post
Jim
Head Cheese

Mana: 
User Gallery
I forgot the reps name but I get all my stuff through this dealer.
http://www.b3-d.com/MicroScribe_Riverside_CA.html

Posted: Tue Feb 26th, 2013 09:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
37th Post
sjmitchley

Mana: 
User Gallery
Hi I have recently managed to lay my hands on a used 3dx.I'm having the same problems as a few users getting the serial connection to work.Am I correct in thinking that the 3dx will accept either a serial or usb cable?Or will the 3dx only run from a serial connection?
Thanks

Posted: Wed Feb 27th, 2013 02:23 am
  PM Quote Reply
38th Post
Jim
Head Cheese

Mana: 
User Gallery
Serial connection always worked for me BUTTT the USB is so much better. Unlike the MX series the 3DX will power on USB also, no need for the adapter. It takes a standard printer type USB cable, the one with the D shape.

Posted: Wed Feb 27th, 2013 02:27 am
  PM Quote Reply
39th Post
Jim
Head Cheese

Mana: 
User Gallery
Mclain wrote: The problem is that i bought this microscribe without a stylus and stylus holder.

So we made a tip that can be screwed on the thread you can see there. So i have no original tip to home is with. And there where my problem is. Because of the offset tip, its angeled different when homing. This model has no homing button. So i think that it homes itself when you switch the on button. So i need to modify my tip that its the same as the original tip. Any info on that would be awesome. Else it will be a test and trial to figure it out.

I also have a G2LX here. Thats the 6DOF type. I think there is a cyllinder in the stylus holder, where you screw your tip in. Im missing that cyllinder. So i was wondering if you know a company that can supply me that part.

Yes it looks like you have a piece missing, it's about a 3" carbon fiber rod that the stylus fits in. That one is one of the re packaged microscribes... probably from the couple year era where Immersion decided to get out of the microscribe business and it was bought by Revware.

Posted: Thu Feb 28th, 2013 08:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
40th Post
sjmitchley

Mana: 
User Gallery
Many thank JimI'll have a look round for a lead & let you know how I get on
Steve

Current time is 07:28 pm Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page    
UltraBB Forums > General Area > Chit Chat > Tech Talk > Microscribe Utility Software Top

Hosting

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2012 Data 1 Systems, INC.
Page processed in 0.2403 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 27 queries executed.