AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri May 18th, 2012 02:13 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Devans
License Holder

Mana: 
User Gallery
I guess 100 billion just isn't enough when you are as greedy as Zuckerburg...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303879604577408481688851336.html

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Fri May 18th, 2012 02:14 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Marty
Helpy Helper

Mana: 
User Gallery
I am gonna try and buy 10 shares of FB for giggles tomorrow.

Posted: Fri May 18th, 2012 02:38 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Devans
License Holder

Mana: 
User Gallery
I personally don't think he gives a care what happens. He is already set for life.

Posted: Sat May 19th, 2012 06:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
TVDinner
Go UCONN!

Mana: 
User Gallery
What is wrong with anything associated with this. He built a company that got successful. Good for him. I see nothing wrong with it.

Now his job really gets hard as he has to now sustain the growth of the company he created and answer to stockholders moving forward as a publicly traded company.

Again - I see nothing wrong with being successful.

Posted: Sat May 19th, 2012 07:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Devans
License Holder

Mana: 
User Gallery
I don't see anything wrong with be successful - I do however see something wrong with charging us to "ensure" our posts are seen by friends and family.

Posted: Sat May 19th, 2012 08:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Marty
Helpy Helper

Mana: 
User Gallery
Devans wrote:
I don't see anything wrong with be successful - I do however see something wrong with charging us to "ensure" our posts are seen by friends and family.

Nothing wrong with that either. Just don't pay for it.

Posted: Tue May 22nd, 2012 12:07 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Devans
License Holder

Mana: 
User Gallery
So how's that -10.99% FB shares working for ya...lol

Posted: Tue May 22nd, 2012 12:18 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Marty
Helpy Helper

Mana: 
User Gallery
Ya I only bought a few shares for fun to say I did. I expect it to go down further before it goes up.

Posted: Tue May 22nd, 2012 12:34 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Devans
License Holder

Mana: 
User Gallery
I was just messin' with you. I see it going lower and sticking there, personally. It seems they flooded the market a little to much. Not to mention all the issues they are having with buying and selling not going through. Could get ugly. :/

Posted: Tue May 22nd, 2012 12:35 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Devans
License Holder

Mana: 
User Gallery
Did you catch this Marty? http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303610504577417911775222058.html?fb_ref=wsj_share_FB&fb_source=home_multiline

Posted: Tue May 22nd, 2012 01:15 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Marty
Helpy Helper

Mana: 
User Gallery
I had read several articles. I dont think it was worth $38... I think $32-$34 is a more reasonable area. But I only bought what I could with the Liquid cash I had in my brokerage account.

Maybe I will ask them to send me an actual share!

Posted: Tue May 22nd, 2012 01:25 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Devans
License Holder

Mana: 
User Gallery
IMHO $14-$20 My HNI stock is only at $22 a share. I just never saw it opening at $38. Not quite sure where they got that price. :?

Posted: Tue May 22nd, 2012 01:42 am
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Marty
Helpy Helper

Mana: 
User Gallery
14-20 is way too low. The value of the stock is based on expected earnings etc... over the course of years.... etc... divided into the number of shares... amongst other things.

Facebook didn't even need an IPO they were independently profitable just on day to day operations revenue. Most companies go IPO because investors want to be repaid on their investments and the company needs a injection of capital to make payouts while also getting new funding to expand. Facebook could have just kept chugging along. They pretty much had to IPO because the number of non-public shareholders (investors and employee options) were crossing a legal threshold that forced them into to it by the SEC.

Facebook has a massive potential if they get their Mobile advertisement strategy in line. They touch so many users on a daily basis that it is a marketing executives wet dream. Google is maybe the the closest thing you can compare to it. It is at $614 per share, but only has about 326 million shares on the open market, where FB is at 2.14 billion already. If you convert for giggles... if google had the same number of shares out there it would be about $85 a share compared to FB $38.00

It will only take some time.... but once the saturation of the market settles down... FB will start to climb unless they do something really stupid. It is dropping right now mostly because a lot of people who got their shares are looking to dump them out to get money out of it... it will happen again when employees are eligible to dump their options... then the waves will settle and it will start to move up.

Posted: Tue May 22nd, 2012 02:05 am
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Devans
License Holder

Mana: 
User Gallery
I agree with some of that. Price not being one of them. If you read the article about GM dumping its $10 million advertising from Facebook, you will see that even they know that "most" people do not even look at, let alone click on, an ad on Facebook. I can honestly say I could care less what ads are on there. Also, I have never, nor will ever, click on an ad on Facebook.

I personally think that with the advent of spammers, no one feels safe clicking an ad anymore, therefore, they ignore them, for the most part. Some are overtaken by flashy ads, so you will always have some clicking. I hope they are not banking on advertising alone. If so, I see the price going even lower than I imagined.

When Facebook starts dumping ads on my mobile, I will be one of the first to delete the app. It is already slower than molasses in December and will only get worse with ads clogging it up. I see them trying to make a buck there though. "Get the AD FREE Facebook app for X amount of dollars." That is why I pay for my apps now - to keep adverts off of my phone.

As for price, I can only agree with these analysis:
At $34, Facebook would have a price-to-earnings ratio, a measure of how expensive or cheap a stock is, of about 57 times projected earnings for the next 12 months, according to FactSet research. The ratio means a Facebook share is more than four times expensive as a share of Google Inc. GOOG +2.28%

"Facebook's IPO priced at a level well-above where we foresaw compelling 12-month returns," BTIG analyst Richard Greenfield said in a research note Monday. With revenue and earnings growth decelerating in 2012, "we find Facebook's current valuation unappealing."

Posted: Tue May 22nd, 2012 02:53 am
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Marty
Helpy Helper

Mana: 
User Gallery
GM jumping ship on Facebook advertising means nothing, trust me... I was employed by them for 5 years. The decision was financial, nothing to do with Facebook performance.... you will notice they are not doing the Superbowl anymore either (announced a few days after their FB announcement). What now, nobody really watches superbowl commercials? If you want to read about how GM makes decisions, read the book by Bob Lutz "Car Guys vs Bean Counters", in particular his section about Vehicle Line Executives.

Their decision making is decades old and old school at best... anchored down by meat heads.. Their choices are budgetary... and then they explain it with smoke and mirrors point the finger somewhere else to distract. When I worked for them, we got laptops on 3 year leases. 2 years in, my laptop couldn't keep up with the performance load from security applications etc... It took 30 mins every morning to boot up. I proved that it was costing them more to have me sit their for 30 mins a day doing "nothing" than it would cost them to give me a decent laptop. There was no money in the "IT Budget" for equipment.... and there was money in the "Over time Budget" so they paid OT instead, even though it cost more over all. "We have money in this pocket, not that pocket".

Click through is only a factor on small sites where you have to prove your ad's are converting viewers into customers. Something like Facebook or Google... you are paying to be on the billboard, not converts. There is no "Click Through" on big bill boards on the side of the road... and Facebook is no different. Their advertisers are paying to be on the Billboard and be seen.

Ha ha... I don't mean to laugh (yes I do...) but tons of people click ad's as well as Spam.... The only reason spammers spam is because idiots DO click them. If nobody clicked on them, they wouldn't invest the time in sending the spam at all. Some moron is clicking on those emails that say "Click here for free V1@gra!" and that is why the spam continues.

Posted: Tue May 22nd, 2012 03:10 am
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
Devans
License Holder

Mana: 
User Gallery
I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I understand they do not go by click throughs, but at the same time are you going to advertise on Facebook when you know that only 2-4% of people even acknowledge that the ad is there? My wife was on Facebook for 2 months before she even realized that there were ads on the page.. lol

As for GM jumping ship - it does mean something. It means $10 million a year less income :/

Posted: Tue May 22nd, 2012 01:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
Marty
Helpy Helper

Mana: 
User Gallery
Devans wrote:
I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I understand they do not go by click throughs, but at the same time are you going to advertise on Facebook when you know that only 2-4% of people even acknowledge that the ad is there? My wife was on Facebook for 2 months before she even realized that there were ads on the page.. lol

Faceboook has intentionally forced most of their advertisers to make their ad content look and feel like "Facebook" to prevent it from becoming MySpace wasteland. 2-4% of a nearly a billion users? That'a 2-4 MILLION people... which is comparable to a good TV show viewership.

If I had a business that had an operating income to support advertising, I would advertise on Facebook 100%.

As for GM jumping ship - it does mean something. It means $10 million a year less income :/

$10 million is peanuts, I would compare that to you and me losing a dollar in change our couch... we might look for it for a second, but after that its not that important.. The only reason this made headlines was because it was a few days before the IPO. Which is exactly what GM wanted. "Free Press" for getting their name in the Papers. Facebook loses and gains $10 million customers as frequently as McDonalds loses a customer to the Burger King next door.

You will notice they made a point of also saying they are going to continue using Facebook "Pages" for connecting with their customers. This is because they know the value of FB.... they are lucky they have enough brand recognition that people will come looking for their page is the only difference.

Posted: Tue May 22nd, 2012 09:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
Devans
License Holder

Mana: 
User Gallery
I agree FB has value. I don't agree that $10 mill is not an "ouch" to FB though. We have an attorney here in town that is one of the top 3 HNI stockholders (3,436,413 shares) He actually called our shop and complained about a $69 bill I left him. This man is a millionaire over and over again.

I read today that Zuckerburg holds 56% of the shares. As of today he has lost over 2 billion dollars. Forget the $10 mill from GM...No one snickers at $2 billion. :)

Wait 2 months -it will be trading for my predicted $14 a share

:cool:;)

Posted: Tue Jun 5th, 2012 09:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
Devans
License Holder

Mana: 
User Gallery
Time to buy is getting closer, but not yet. Im still waiting for my $14 guesstimate before I buy.... http://blogs.wsj.com/marketbeat/2012/06/05/facebook-a-screaming-hold-as-shares-hit-new-lows/?mod=e2tw

Posted: Thu Aug 22nd, 2013 10:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
Marty
Helpy Helper

Mana: 
User Gallery
So its been a year. FB is trading at $38.

:-)

Current time is 09:16 pm Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
UltraBB Forums > General Area > Chit Chat > Tech Talk > Figures Top

Hosting

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2012 Data 1 Systems, INC.
Page processed in 0.4989 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 27 queries executed.