In India, the Aadhaar card has become an essential document, serving as proof of identity and address for a variety of purposes. It’s crucial to maintain the accuracy of information on your Aadhaar card, especially your name, to ensure seamless access to services and benefits. This blog post serves as a comprehensive guide to changing your name on your Aadhaar card, covering eligibility, procedures, documents required, and timelines.
Eligibility for Aadhaar Card Name Change
- Minor Changes: You can change your name online if it involves minor spelling corrections, initials, or removal of aliases.
- Major Changes: For major changes like changing your first name, middle name, or last name, visiting an Aadhaar Seva Kendra (ASK) or Permanent Enrolment Centre (PEC) is necessary.
- Marriage: If you’ve changed your name due to marriage, you can update your Aadhaar card accordingly.
- Correction: In case of errors in your existing name on the Aadhaar card, you can submit a correction request.
Documents Required for Aadhaar Card Name Change
For online updates, you’ll need to upload scanned copies of:
- Aadhaar card
- Proof of Identity (POI) documents like passport, PAN card, voter ID, driving license, etc.
- Proof of Address (POA) documents like electricity bill, ration card, bank statement, etc.
- Supporting document for name change (marriage certificate, gazette notification, etc.)
For offline updates at ASK or PEC, you need to carry the original copies of the above documents along with a completed Aadhaar Data Update/Correction Form.
Steps for Aadhaar Card Name Change Online
- Visit the UIDAI Self Service Update Portal (SSUP): https://uidai.gov.in/
- Enter your Aadhaar number and captcha code to login.
- Click on “Update Demographics Data” and select “Name.”
- Fill in the required details and upload scanned copies of documents.
- Submit your request and pay the online update fee (Rs. 50).
- Download the acknowledgement slip for your reference.
Steps for Aadhaar Card Name Change Offline
- Visit the nearest Aadhaar Seva Kendra (ASK) or Permanent Enrolment Centre (PEC).
- Collect the Aadhaar Data Update/Correction Form and fill it correctly.
- Submit the form along with original documents to the Aadhaar official.
- Pay the update fee (Rs. 50) and collect the acknowledgement slip.
Timeline for Aadhaar Card Name Change
The processing time for online updates is usually 5-7 working days, while offline updates may take 10-15 working days. You can track the status of your request using the URN number provided on the acknowledgement slip.
Additional Points to Remember
- Ensure your mobile number is registered with your Aadhaar card for receiving updates and OTPs.
- Keep original documents readily available for verification during offline updates.
- In case of errors or delays, contact UIDAI customer support for assistance.
Benefits of Updating Your Aadhaar Card Name
- Accurate Identity: Having the correct name on your Aadhaar card ensures smooth access to services and benefits.
- Reduces Discrepancies: Avoiding discrepancies between your name on different documents helps prevent complications and delays.
- Ease of Transactions: An updated Aadhaar card facilitates hassle-free transactions and verification processes.
By following this guide and adhering to the instructions, you can seamlessly update your name on your Aadhaar card and maintain its accuracy. Remember, a valid and updated Aadhaar card is essential for availing various government schemes and services in India.