What is CarPlay and Why You Need It
CarPlay is a feature that allows you to use your iPhone’s interface on your car’s dashboard screen. You can access core features such as GPS, music, phone calls, messaging, and Siri – all integrated into your car’s speakers and on-board controls. This makes your driving experience more convenient and safer, as you don’t have to look at your phone or touch it while driving.
However, most cars that support CarPlay require you to plug in your phone with a cable every time you get in. This can be annoying and inconvenient, especially if you have to dig out your phone from your pocket or purse. It also means more wear and tear on your phone’s charging port and cable.
What is a CarPlay Adapter and How It Works
A CarPlay adapter is a device that plugs into your car’s USB port that powers wired CarPlay. It acts as a receiver for your phone and connects it to your car’s dashboard via Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. This way, you can enjoy wireless CarPlay without having to plug in your phone.
A CarPlay adapter is easy to set up and use. You just need to plug it into your car’s USB port, pair it with your phone via Bluetooth from the Settings app, and wait for it to connect. Once connected, you can use CarPlay as usual, but without the hassle of wires.
Benefits of Using a CarPlay Adapter
Using a CarPlay adapter has many benefits, such as:
- Convenience: You don’t have to plug in and unplug your phone every time you get in and out of your car. You can just leave your phone in your pocket or purse and enjoy wireless CarPlay.
- Safety: You don’t have to fumble with your phone or cable while driving. You can focus on the road and use voice commands or steering wheel controls to access CarPlay features.
- Battery Life: You don’t have to worry about draining your phone’s battery while using CarPlay. You can charge your phone separately with a wireless charger or a power bank if needed.
- Compatibility: Most CarPlay adapters work with any iPhone that supports CarPlay, from iPhone 5 to iPhone 13. They also work with most cars that have wired CarPlay, regardless of the make and model.
Best CarPlay Adapters to Buy in 2023
There are many CarPlay adapters available on the market, but not all of them are reliable and compatible. To help you choose the best one for your needs, we have reviewed some of the most popular ones based on several criteria, such as ease of use, connectivity, reliability, startup time, aesthetics, and compatibility. Here are our top picks:
- Cplay2Air: This is one of the first and most straightforward CarPlay adapters on the market. It has an integrated cable that plugs directly into your car’s USB port. It supports iOS 17 and above, and works with most cars that have wired CarPlay. It has a fast startup time of about 10 seconds, and a reliable connection that rarely drops. It costs $129.95.
- Pairr: This is a sleek and compact CarPlay adapter that comes with a detachable USB-C cable. It supports iOS 16 and above, and works with most cars that have wired CarPlay. It has a startup time of about 15 seconds, and a stable connection that rarely lags. It costs $99.
- Drimfly: This is a budget-friendly CarPlay adapter that comes with a detachable USB-A cable. It supports iOS 15 and above, and works with most cars that have wired CarPlay. It has a startup time of about 20 seconds, and a decent connection that occasionally glitches. It costs $59.
Wireless CarPlay is a great feature that makes your driving experience more convenient and safer. However, if you have a car that only supports wired CarPlay, you don’t have to buy a new car or replace your head unit to go wireless. You can simply use a CarPlay adapter that plugs into your car’s USB port and connects your phone to your car’s dashboard via Bluetooth and Wi-Fi.
There are many CarPlay adapters available on the market, but not all of them are reliable and compatible. We have reviewed some of the best ones based on several criteria, such as ease of use, connectivity, reliability, startup time, aesthetics, and compatibility. Our top picks are Cplay2Air, Pairr, and Drimfly.
We hope this article has helped you learn more about CarPlay adapters and how they can enhance your driving experience. If you have any questions or feedback, please let us know in the comments below. Thank you for reading!