Krithi Shetty is an Indian actress who predominantly appears in Telugu and Tamil films in addition to Hindi and Malayalam films. She made her debut with the commercially successful film Uppena (2021) and has since then won several awards and accolades for her performances. In this blog post, we will explore more about her life, career, awards, and upcoming projects.
Early Life and Education
Krithi Shetty was born on 21 September 2003 in Mumbai, to a Tulu family hailing from Mangalore, Karnataka. Her father is a businessman, and her mother is a fashion designer. She was brought up in Mumbai and is studying psychology at Bangalore University. She mentioned that when she was a child, her dream was to become a doctor, and she never thought of becoming an actor. However, she had a deep fascination with films and cameras since childhood.
Krithi started her career as a model with a TV advertisement. She has been featured in numerous TV commercials promoting well-known brands such as The Sleep Company, Idea, Parle, Blue Star, and Lifebuoy.
She made her film debut with a brief appearance in the Hindi film Super 30 (2019) as an excellence student. However, her breakthrough came with her first lead role in the Telugu film Uppena (2021) directed by Buchi Babu Sana and produced by Mythri Movie Makers and Sukumar Writings. She played the role of Sangeetha “Bebamma”, a young girl who falls in love with a fisherman’s son against her father’s wishes. The film was a huge hit at the box office by collecting over ₹ 100 crore (US$13 million) and received positive reviews from critics and audiences alike. Krithi’s performance was praised for her innocence, charm and chemistry with her co-star Vaisshnav Tej.
In 2021, she also appeared in the Telugu film Shyam Singha Roy opposite Nani. She played the role of Keerthi, a researcher who helps Nani’s character unravel his past life mysteries. The film was also well-received by the viewers and critics.
In 2022, she appeared opposite Ram Pothineni in bilingual film The Warriorr directed by N. Lingusamy. She played the role of “Whistle” Mahalakshmi, a bubbly girl who falls for Ram’s character who is on a mission to save his village from a ruthless gangster. The film was released in Telugu and Tamil languages and was a huge commercial failure. It also received negative reviews from critics who found it outdated, cliched and boring.
Her next release in the same year was Telugu film Macherla Niyojakavargam, directed by M. S. Rajashekhar Reddy. She played the role of Swathi, a journalist who exposes the corruption and scams of a local politician. The film was a moderate success at the box office and received mixed reviews from critics.
As of 2022, she had completed shooting for Aa Ammayi Gurinchi Meeku Cheppali directed by Mohana Krishna Indraganti, co-starring Sudheer Babu. She played dual roles of Dr. Alekhya and Akhila, two sisters who have contrasting personalities and fall in love with the same man.
She made her Tamil-language debut with Venkat Prabhu’s bilingual Custody (2023) starring Naga Chaitanya. She played the role of Revathi, a lawyer who helps Naga Chaitanya’s character get custody of his daughter from his estranged wife.
She also signed two more Tamil films: Genie directed by Ravi Kumar Raja and Ajayante Randam Moshanam directed by Jithin Lal.
Awards and Nominations
Krithi Shetty has won several awards and nominations for her acting skills. Some of them are:
- Filmfare Awards South: Best Female Debut – South (Won) for Uppena (2021)
- Filmfare Awards South: Best Actress – Telugu (Nominated) for Uppena (2021)
- South Indian International Movie Awards: Best Female Debut- Telugu (Won) for Uppena (2021)
- Behindwoods Gold Medals: Best Actor Critics- Female Telugu (Won) for Uppena (2021)
- Galatta Crown Awards: Sensational Star of The Year (Won) for Uppena (2021)
- Sakshi Excellence Award: Best Debut Actress (Won) for Uppena (2021)
Krithi Shetty has a busy schedule ahead of her as she has signed several films in different languages. Some of her upcoming projects are:
- Bangarraju: A Telugu film directed by Kalyan Krishna Kurasala and starring Nagarjuna Akkineni, Naga Chaitanya and Ramya Krishnan. It is a sequel to the 2016 film Soggade Chinni Nayana. Krithi plays the role of Naga Lakshmi, a village belle who is the love interest of Naga Chaitanya’s character.
- Ajayante Randam Moshanam: A Malayalam film directed by Jithin Lal and starring Prithviraj Sukumaran, Aditi Balan and Lena. It is an anthology film consisting of three stories revolving around three different characters played by Prithviraj. Krithi plays the role of one of the female leads in one of the stories.
- Genie: A Tamil film directed by Ravi Kumar Raja and starring Sivakarthikeyan, Hansika Motwani and Yogi Babu. It is a fantasy comedy film about a man who finds a magic lamp and unleashes a genie who grants him three wishes. Krithi plays the role of one of the female leads in the film.
Krithi Shetty is one of the most promising and talented actresses in South Indian cinema. She has impressed the audiences and critics with her versatile and natural performances in various genres and languages. She has also won several awards and accolades for her work. She has a bright future ahead of her as she has many exciting projects lined up for her. She is definitely a star to watch out for.